Spotlight on … Dawn McCarron
1. Why did you become a yoga/pilates instructor?
With a long career spanning 25 years in the fitness industry as a PT and aerobics instructor I wanted to find something that I could teach or practise every day for the rest of my life, injury free and body strong!
2. What is your favourite pose/exercise?
Yoga – Downward facing dog because I like the feeling of length in the body and the connection with my core. Pilates – front support (or plank) as it strengthens so many muscles in the body and focus on the breath.
3. Which classes do you teach at RHY?
Yoga open and open mat Pilates (beginners courses and improvers workshops coming in February). Days & times: every day Mon-Fri
4. How long have you been an instructor?
25 years – gaps include having 3 children but always returned back after! Taught step aerobics until I dropped (mad woman then).
5. What is your go to snack after your practise?
Eggs (not the chocolate creme variety) poached is my favourite. I often have a hard boiled egg in my snack pot in my fitness bag or homemade energy balls (more of a treat).
6. How do you motivate yourself to get on your mat?
I exercise every day and enjoy how good I feel being able to move, bend, lift and generally do day to day stuff without feeling stiff or old
7. Top tip for Downward Dog?
Core connection – draw an imaginery piece of string between your front hip bones and draw that string back towards your spine.
8. What would your advice be to beginners?
Be proud that you made it to a mat in the first place and grateful for whatever your practice feels like today.
9. What else do you do in your spare time?
Beach walks with my husband and 2 poodles. To crochet and drink red wine; sometimes at the same time.
10. Where is your favourite travel destination?
I haven’t travelled a lot but I love the UK and all the variety that it has to offer with very little cost and time to get there. I feel grateful for the beautiful countryside that is on our very doorstep and explore it most days plus I love the coast and my favourite places are Poole and Brighton.